The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has recently received an additional Php1-billion financial assistance for its Abot Kamay and Pagtulong (AKAP) program for overseas Filipino workers (OWFs).
The additional budget came from the Department of Budget and Management, however, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said it wasn’t enough. He had asked for an additional Php2.5-billion for the program.
“We will live with it for the meantime. They might still change their mind and to it,” Bello said in a statement on Thursday.
So far, the agency has received a total of 411,000 applications for the cash assistance worldwide from the OFWs.