News DOLE: About 1-million OFWs to lose jobs until December...

DOLE: About 1-million OFWs to lose jobs until December 2021

-

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) estimated that around one million land and sea-based overseas Filipino workers will lose job until 2021 due to Covid-19 effect.

DOLE International Labor Affairs Bureau (ILAB) Director Alice Visperas said in a statement that 1,005,031 OFWs will be jobless until next year.

Of this number, 60 percent or 603,019, represent land-based OFWs while the remaining 40 percent represent sea-based OFWs.

In a data released in May, total is already at 323,537 with majority of repatriates coming from the Middle East at 238,362.

DOLE-ILAB’s forecast about the number of OFWs who will lose jobs in the coming months:

December 2020: 609,317

June 2021: 846,429

December 2021: 1,005,031.

Ryan Namia
Ryan Namia spends most of his days reading over drafts of new written content and determining which ones make the final cut for online and print publication. He received his Bachelor's degree in Journalism in 2015 and has been writing since 2016. Got a story to tell? Email him at eic@theglobalfilipinomagazine.com. Or follow his IG @rtnamia.

Latest news

Value of UAE’s dirham touches P14 on Tuesday, January 18 for the first time

A Dubai-based remittance centre records value of AED1 to P14 on Tuesday, January 18, around 1:40pm. 

PSY, Stray Kids, more blow away fans with captivating K-pop concert at Expo Dubai

K-Pop sensations PSY, Stray Kids, Sunmi, Golden Child, (G)I-dle and Forestella blew away fans with a captivating...

Filipino Institute K-12 introduces new school fees and enrollment procedures for SY 2022-2023

Filipino Institute updated the new school fees and enrollment procedures for the school year 2022-2023, as part...

Two people impersonating UAE police officers jailed for 6 months, fined AED25,000

Two people in Dubai have been sentenced to six months in jail after impersonating police officers. 
- Advertisement -

Residents in the UAE prefer local leaves amid rise in Covid-19 cases

More and more residents in the UAE are canceling international travel plans and are choosing local leaves...

PAL releases new travel protocols, test requirements for OFWs bound for Philippines

As the Interagency Task Force (IATF) in the Philippines issued revised and updated travel protocols and travel...

Must read

No need to panic buy, UAE has enough food and medicine

His Higness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al...

OFW undergoing quarantine in Pasay allegedly commits suicide

An overseas Filipino worker (OFW) from Papua...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you