A 7-year-old died from a box jellyfish sting while swimming in a beach resort in Del Gallego, Camarines Sur.
Rhian Lhey Benvinoto died on Sunday. According to her mother overseas Filipino worker mother in Hong Kong, Leah Benvinoto, she could not accept the death of her only child.
“Mahal na mahal kita, hinfi ko talaga matanggap, sana may himala, sana gumising po,” Leah was quoted as saying by ABS-CBN News.
Rhian was supposed to call her mother while in the resort because the reception there was stable. “Yung pagpunta po niya ng dagat, kaya po siya pumunta kasi nga malakas ang signal doon, ano po kakausapin niya sana ako, ang dali po nung pangyayari, hindi na po sila nakatawag,” she added.
With the amount of venom caused by the box jellyfish, the vinegar that was used to treat her did not effect.
The management of the resort has already apologized to the family.
However, the family wanted the management to be held accountable, especially the result of the police investigation suggests that there was a shortcoming from the management.
“Pumunta kasi kami doon sa lugar. Ang naabutan talaga naming ‘yun net nila ay may ano, sira pa, kasi nasira noong nakaraang bagyo,” Police Cpl. Romeo de la Vega of Del Gallego Police, said.